Sunday, June 24, 2012

M&G5 Day 2

What a great day!
We woke up to sunny sky's and warm temperatures and after the normal thing of getting 4 people through the bathroom  and everything packed we hit the road at 7:15

The roads were clear, I set the cruise at 72 and sat back to enjoy the day. About 25 miles later. Lori started to flash her lights and we pulled over. It seems that with the new tires on her bike, it wanders a bit more than she likes. She wanted me to check it out and make sure it was all OK.

We swapped bikes and I drove hers for a few miles and it was fine. Just a new tire with more of a crown than she was used to made it not track as steady. Anyway, I pull over and stop, Lori pulls up behind me on my bike and goes to get off and the bike started to go over. The kickstand is a little long and the road
 was tilted to the right, so the bike was actually straight up. Fortunately she caught it as it started to go and by then I was right there to steady it.

We took off again (on our own bikes) and made it another 100 miles or so. Coming down a long downgrade it just seemed something was wrong. There were cars off both sides of the road, stopped, and the cars in front of me were slowing down. All of the sudden the car right it front of me swerved hard to the right and ran over the corner of a big concrete form. It was about 6' x 20' and covered the shoulder and all of the left lane and part of the right lane. I swerved right and Mark and Lori followed right behind me.
Lori S. in the car managed to squeeze right in front of a semi and we all made it past without hitting it. That was a good thing as evidently there were exposed nails because for the next mile there must have been 15 cars pulled over with multiple flat tires.That was better than a Red Bull! Nothing like a quick adrenaline rush to perk you right up.



We took off east around Ontario Oregon and headed for the hills. The roads from Garden Valley to Stanley are some of the best I have ridden on for a motorcycle. Twist and turns for about 100 miles following
 rivers and the speed limit was high enough to make it entertaining. There were, of course, warning signs for the corners, and of course I totally ignored them. I figure if I am not over double the caution speed,
 I am safe to make it. I wasn't going even close to that fast so I had a safety margin there in case I ran up on somebody in the corner.
We made it to Stanley with no problems and got a room and ate and relaxed at a real nice cabin right on the river.



It is a beautiful area at the base of the Sawtooth mountains and I can see why people like it here so much.

Tomorrow we go into Sun Valley (shopping, Yay! (sarcasm intended)) and then into Idaho falls for the evening. We have contemplated going through to Dubois, Wy,
But we want to take our time going through the Grand Tetons. 2 short days now and we are into our base camp for a few days.

A great day today and we will see you tomorrow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment