Saturday, June 29, 2013

Heading north

Leaving PDC area with Larry and Dixie in tow, (Larry didn't want to lead any more, I think he regretted that decision later.) we headed NW in search of fun roads. We managed to hit just about every detour they had in the state I think. We managed to drive on some roads even Larry had not been on before. Some of them were fun and some not so much.

We also had a nasty day with birds. Dixie darn near got hit by an eagle. I almost got hit by a hawk and I had two birds play chicken with me and they split and passed by on each side of me, but by far the worst was one little bird that tried to cross in front of me and got sucked in by the air deflectors, but didn't quite make it through. The gap was a little small and the deflector split the bird in two. some went flying off to the side and some of the bird ended up all over my left arm and the rest was jammed into the deflector. I had to stop and pull all the feathers and intestines out.

The four of us stopped for lunch before splitting up and heading our separate ways. Larry and Dixie headed to relatives and Lori and I headed northwest. I was sorry to say goodbye. We have had so much fun with them in such a short period. It will be one of my most pleasant memories of all time.

Lori and I had a nice ride to north Minneapolis area and stopped for the night at an extended stay hotel and did the laundry.

This morning we got up late and just could not get into getting on the bike, but we managed somehow. The trip through northern Minnesota was a pleasant one. The weather was nice and the temps in the low 80's and lots of lakes to look at.  Not a whole lot to see without major detours so we just kept heading North.

This next part, I am going to blame on Conrad...

We got to the border crossing and pulled up to the window and the girl asked the usual questions, where are you going? How long are you staying? what is the purpose of your trip?

This is where it went wrong. I replied we were visiting, so she asked who we were visiting. I replied that sightseeing would a better term as we really weren't visiting a person. She than asked if we knew anyone from Canada. I replied that we knew Conrad and she said "just a minute" and pushed a button.

About 20 feet in front of me a door opened and an officer came out. The girl said to follow that man around the corner and park where he directed and then come inside. Oh Shit, was my first impression...

I got inside and the officer inside started asking questions about my affiliation with motorcycle groups in general, and wanted to know if I belonged to any, along with the usual, do you have any guns, etc.

I talked about the 1300 tourer group and the Northwest Washington Victory riders and he wanted to know all about them. What we did, where we went, if we were a riding club or a patch club... He then directed me over to Immigration where I had to stand in front of the scanner and explain to another girl (In a bulletproof vest) everything all over again. She said hang on for a moment and pulled up all my info, looking for a criminal background, or maybe an FBI file.  I must have been ok because she finally stamped my passport and told me I was free to go. I get outside and Lori's bike is out there too, but she is gone. I turned around and looked and she was inside going through the same thing.

Next time I am not going to mention Conrad.  LOL

We rode north to Winnipeg for the evening and tomorrow we start west. Time to relax for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment