Sunday, September 11, 2011

Home!

We are finally home. I was just too tired and too busy in the last few days to post. Sorry. Most of the places we stayed at on the way home had crap for internet, so I just didn't try.


From where I left off in Banff, we spent the morning up at Johnston creek trail. It is a mountain stream that has cut  multiple waterfalls along the way.
This tells a bit about it, but fails to describe the beauty. 
http://www.banff.ca/activities-events/summer/banff-hiking/johnston-canyon.htm

We left there and headed south towards Glacier National Park
there were a lot of animals in Banff Area that were just strolling and licking at the road. I think that maybe they salt the roads in winter and that is what attracts them.
After a nice casual day of riding we stopped just before going back into the states to spend the night and relax.

Wednesday we headed across the border and through Glacier National Park. The road construction what a royal pain. Doing 3 mph in a line of 100 cars following a flag car through the park was not a lot of fun.



After exiting the park and stopping for lunch we decided to head to a little town called Hot Springs Mt. where they had a mineral springs resort that was from the early 30's. The building looked like it. LOL
The rooms were comfortable and the food and service were excellent, but it had 1 little quirk. They believed in the mineral water so much, they used it for heating the building and for all the hot water in the building. The pools were great, but if you have ever been in a mineral pool, you know you fell slimy from all the minerals and sulpher in the water. In order to take a shower you have to use the mineral water and mix it with cold water. (the cold is fresh water) and when you are done cleaning up, you have to turn off the hot water entirely to get fresh water to clean the minerals off. Like I said; Quirky :-) 
http://www.symeshotsprings.com/

Thursday morning we wandered up Hwy 200 to Lake Pend Oreille and into Sandpoint Id, where Lori and Gina HAD to stop to do some shopping again. I thought we were getting off too easy... LOL
That town has more boutique shops and art gallerys than just about anyplace I have ever been. A lot of fruits and nuts there, I tell ya.
I was sitting outside one of the galley's waiting for Gina and Lori to come out and a lady about 40 or so was walking by. She stopped for second right in front of me and told me I had better go get a lottery ticket. I looked at her and asked why? She replied, because it was my lucky day. I met her... And then she walked off.  See, I told ya. Fruits and nuts...

We got out of town before the rush hour got too bad and stopped in Newport, Wa for the night. There is a little bed and breakfast there that was unique. 
http://www.thewaldenhouse.com/
The four of us rented the whole downstaris of the house with a full living room and two bedrooms for the night. It also includes a self serve breakfast in the upstairs guest kitchen. It is just like being at home. Help yourself to anything in the fridge, it is all for guests. pots and pans are beside the stove if you wish to cook something and the hot tub is out on the rear deck. You can use it anytime...  Real casual and friendly.

If we go back into the area, I will stay there again.
Friday we headed north along Hwy 20 and then south, staying in Wenatchee for the night. We have a favorite hotel there. It is the Super 8 and has a great pool and hot tub. Both are just the right temperature and after riding in the heat all day it feels soo good to cool down and relax.

Saturday we went into Leavenworth and a little more shopping (go figure.) and over Stevens pass and home. We went down to see mark and Lori and pick up the dogs and today we are just relaxing and unwinding. A great trip and John and Gina are a fun couple to travel with. 4400 miles total in two weeks and too many sights to mention.

Until the next trip...

1 comment:

  1. Well now that we are all home safely and I have access to the internet, I want to say that this was one of the best motorcycle trips I have ever experienced in my life. I originally came up with the idea of going on the Yellow Head Hwy when I asked a "well traveled" co-worker where the most beautiful place she has ever been is. She told me the Yellow Head Hwy, so it spurred John and I to plan out this trip. Each day was more beautiful than the last and I realized that no matter what obstacles, like a motorcycle accident, can’t stop me from doing what I truly love. Getting right back on the bike and moving on with our wonderful vacation was where we all wanted to be. Taking in the vastness of nature realizing British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho have an abundance of beauty all their own. The hot springs didn’t hurt either. I would do this trip again, in a heartbeat, and truly enjoyed taking it with you and Lori.

    ReplyDelete